If you are named in a Will as an ‘executor’ and you agree to be appointed, probate will be granted to you upon application.
The Grant of Probate represents your authority as an executor to deal with the deceased person’s assets so that you are then able to pay any debts and tax before distributing the balance of the assets in accordance with the terms of the Will.
If there is no Will or there is reason that named executors cannot or will not apply for a Grant of Probate, statutory rules apply to decide what should happen.
Our experienced probate specialists provide sensitive and clear advice at what is inevitably a very difficult time. They are able to look after inheritance tax papers and the probate application on your behalf.
“Martin Cooper was superb throughout, friendly, very helpful and always available for telephone advice.” PL, February 2019
Once a grant of probate has been obtained, we are then able to deal with the remainder of the estate administration on your behalf, or should you choose, hand everything over to you so you can collect in the assets, distribute them to the beneficiaries and pay any tax, if necessary. As an executor, the extent of our involvement is entirely a matter for you.
The types of service our team can offer include:
- Registering the death;
- Applying for probate/administration of the estate;
- Establishing who is entitled as a beneficiary of the estate;
- Locating missing beneficiaries;
- Identifying and administering the assets of the estate until they can be either sold or distributed to the relevant beneficiaries;
- Dealing with the debts of the deceased;
- Dealing with HM Revenue & Customs, including preparing and filing any necessary tax returns;
- Advising the executors in the event that the Will is challenged;
- Distributing the assets of the estate and accounting to each beneficiary in accordance with the terms of the Will.
“Brilliant in every respect. Jenny Greenland is a consummate professional. She has great interpersonal skills. She is also kind, sensitive and thoughtful.” RW, December 2018
If you are appointed as an executor in a Will, or you believe you are the person entitled to act in the administration of an estate where there is no Will, and would like advice on obtaining probate, contact our probate and administration of estates team on 01225 755656, or complete the contact form at the bottom of this page and we shall respond to you as soon as possible.