Planning ahead for when the worst happens can seem daunting. Certainly, most of us don’t like to think about unpleasant subjects such as losing our mental capacity or dying. Many people therefore put off making a Will or Lasting Power of Attorney, or taking advice on ways to reduce our loved ones’ exposure to care home fees or inheritance tax.
But life is unpredictable and planning and managing what may lie ahead gives you the peace of mind of knowing you’ve done everything possible to help secure your family’s future.
“Martin Cooper was the perfect solicitor. Solicitous and proactive in just the right measure. Always prepared to go the extra mile. Outstanding performance.” IR, February 2019
At BLB, our Lifetime Planning and Wills team take the time to fully understand your circumstances and wishes, at the same time ensuring that you are making the most of Inheritance Tax allowances and other benefits.
Why should I make a Will?
Put simply, a Will is one of the most important documents you will ever write. By making a Will you can:
- Decide how and to whom your assets are distributed, rather than letting the law decide;
- Make specific gifts to people and charities;
- Appoint guardians for your children;
- Choose who is entitled to act as your executors;
- Speed up the process for administering your estate and therefore save legal costs;
- Minimise the amount of Inheritance Tax payable;
- Disinherit people who might otherwise be entitled to a share of your assets if you die without making a Will;
- Reduce the prospect of legal challenges;
- Set out your wishes for your funeral;
- Change the terms of your Will as your circumstances change.
“Brilliant in every respect. Jenny Greenland is a consummate professional. She has great interpersonal skills. She is also kind, sensitive and thoughtful.” RW, December 2018
Making a Will
Click here for more information on making a Will.
Click here for more information on Inheritance Tax Planning.
Lasting Powers of Attorney, Court of Protection and Living Wills
Click here for more information on Lasting Powers of Attorney.
Click here for more information on Court of Protection matters.
Click here for more information on Living Wills.
Care Home Fees and Planning
Click here for more information on Care Home Fees and Planning.
“Imogen Moran was very friendly and knowledgeable.” DB, March 2019