Estate Administration (disposal of the deceased person’s assets) can be a difficult and sometimes confusing process, not least because you may have recently lost a close family member or friend.
Being appointed as an executor in a Will or being the personal representative of someone who has died without making a valid Will carries important duties and responsibilities.
Even the most straightforward of estates can be difficult to administer without professional assistance. Many people who are appointed executors are apprehensive about making mistakes which can result in increased stress and costs and ultimately delay the distribution of the estate. Another factor is that often people simply do not have sufficient time to commit to the process.
“Martin Cooper was the perfect solicitor. Solicitous and proactive in just the right measure. Always prepared to go the extra mile. Outstanding performance.” IR, February 2019
Our highly experienced team are here to help you through this process. The extent of our involvement is entirely up to you. We can either deal with the entire administration on your behalf or provide as much advice, guidance and assistance as you require.
The types of service our team can offer include:
- Registering the death;
- Applying for probate/administration of the estate;
- Establishing who is entitled as a beneficiary of the estate;
- Locating missing beneficiaries;
- Identifying and administering the assets of the estate until they can be either sold or distributed to the relevant beneficiaries;
- Dealing with the debts of the deceased;
- Dealing with HM Revenue & Customs, including preparing and filing any necessary tax returns;
- Advising the executors in the event that the Will is challenged;
- Distributing the assets of the estate and accounting to each beneficiary in accordance with the terms of the Will.
“Brilliant in every respect. Jenny Greenland is a consummate professional. She has great interpersonal skills. She is also kind, sensitive and thoughtful.” RW, December 2018
For further information contact our probate and administration of estates team on 01225 755656, or complete the contact form at the bottom of this page.